It’s definitely getting chilly and we’re in need to something warm and fuzzy. Using Pinterest we’ve picked out 5 great recipes that are super easy and will make you feel that little bit warmer.
1: CREME BRULEE COFFEE (Click the image for the recipe)
CARAMEL BRÛLÉE COFFEE
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup prepared caramel sauce, plus additional for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 cups (16 ounces) hot coffee
- Whipped cream
- In small saucepan, stir together milk, caramel sauce and brown sugar. Heat over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or until foamy and steaming, whisking frequently.
- Divide coffee between 2 large mugs. Divide milk mixture between mugs and stir. Top each mug with whipped cream and additional caramel sauce.
2. BAKED CHICKEN TENDERS WITH CREAMY AVOCADO DIP
CHICKEN TENDER INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast, slice into tenders
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
CHICKEN TENDER DIRECTIONS:
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In three separate bowls add flour, beaten egg, and panko. Add salt and pepper to panko bowl.
- Dip the chicken tender in the flour until lightly coated. Then dip into egg and then into the panko.
- Place chicken in a single layer on baking sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken.
CREAMY AVOCADO DIPPING SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/3-1/2 cup water
CREAMY AVOCADO DIPPING SAUCE DIRECTIONS
- In a food processor or blender the avocado, lime juice, salt, and Greek yogurt and pulse until smooth.
- Stream in water until desired consistency reached.
3. BUTTER BEAN AND CHORIZO STEW WITH TOMATOES
BUTTER BEAN AND CHORIZO STEW WITH TOMATOES INGREDIENTS
- 25g chorizo, skinned and very finely diced (88 calories)
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced (30 calories)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely diced (8 calories)
- 1 x 400g tin of butter beans (drained weight is 230g) (check for calories on the tin, as they can vary, mine were 80 calories per 100g 230g drained weight = 180 calories)
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes (80 calories)
- smoked paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
A spicy, comforting and hearty stew that is prepped and cooked in under half an hour; this recipe makes two generous portions and a little chorizo goes a long way without adding excess calories. This stew is only 183 calories per portion, making it an ideal recipe for those following the 5:2 diet on a fast day, as well as anyone following Weight Watchers. Serve with crusty bread on a non-fast day.
||Put the finely diced chorizo into a large saucepan and heat over a gentle heat until the oil begins to run. Then add the onions and garlic, place a lid on the pan and sauté over a gentle heat, stirring every now and then until the onions and garlic are soft.
||Add the drained butter beans and tinned tomatoes and stir well. Then add some smoked paprika to taste, stir and replace the lid. Simmer over a gentle heat for about 10 minutes.
||Add a little water or vegetable stock if the stew is too thick, then adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper and serve in warmed soup bowls.
||183 calories per generous serving. Recipe serves two people.
4. PARTY POPCORN
PREP TIME 10 mins, COOK TIME 10 mins, TOTAL TIME 20 mins
Serves: Makes about 8-9 cups.
- 6-7 ounces (weight) white candy melts, melted
- (substitute your favorite color, or chocolate)
- 8-9 cups popped popcorn, lightly salted
- (I used Orville Redenbacher’s Natural, Simply Salted, 1 pack makes 9 cups popped)
- sprinkles or nonpareils in your favorite colour
- On a large baking sheet or bowl, gently mix in the melted white candy/chocolate into the popped popcorn.
- Now for the sprinkles! Sprinkle the sprinkles before melted candy/chocolate hardens.
Gently mix together before candy/chocolate hardens.
5. Hot Toddy
RUM HOT TODDY
PREP TIME 5 mins, TOTAL TIME 5 mins, Serves: 1
This rum hot toddy is just what you need if you’re feeling run down or are fighting off a cold…
- 2 tbsp rum
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 slice of lemon and a squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Boiling water
- Add the rum, honey, lemon and cinnamon to a mug.
- Fill up with water and stir to mix.
- Taste and add more honey or lemon if desired.
- Enjoy and feel better!
The Pretaportobello Girls